Oral Trauma

Ask My Dentist if our services are right for you

Make an Appointment

Endodontists specialize in oral trauma and are often able to save injured teeth. Traumatic dental injuries often occur in accidents or sports-related injuries. Although chipped teeth account for the majority of all dental injuries, dislodged and knocked-out teeth, along with root fractures are all considered traumatic injuries. No matter what type of dental injury you have, you should see a dentist or endodontist immediately.

Chipped or Fractured Teeth

There are different factors that would determine treatment for your chipped or fractured tooth. Most chipped or fractured teeth can be replaced by reattaching the broken piece or by placing a tooth-colored filling in the chipped area. If a significant part of the tooth is broken off, an artificial cap may be needed for restoration. Root canal treatment or extraction may also be necessary under certain circumstances.

Dislodged Teeth

Root canal treatment is usually needed for secondary teeth that have been dislodged. Children may not require treatment since their teeth are still developing. However, it is important to see a dentist or endodontist so that he or she can determine what the best option is for you or your child.

Knocked-Out Teeth

If your tooth is completely knocked out of your mouth, see an endodontist or dentist immediately. The length of time the tooth was out of the mouth will determine the chances of saving the tooth. The tooth will be placed back in the socket, and a stabilizing splint with be placed for a few weeks.

Root Fractures

Depending on the type of injury to your tooth, you may sustain a horizontal root fracture. In this case, the tooth may need to be stabilized with a splint for a required period of time.

If you've sustained oral trauma, it's important to contact us right away for treatment that can save your tooth or teeth. Contact My Dentist at 918-333-3241 without delay.